Performance and Image Enhancing Drugs (PIEDs)
Performance and image enhancing drugs (PIEDs) are used illegally to improve appearance and/or athletic performance, or to modify the body in some way.
Steroids (anabolic androgenic steroids) are synthetic drugs which are based on the structure of testosterone and are used for building tissue and muscle. They are different from corticosteroids which are used to treat conditions such as athsma. Prescribed by a doctor, with dosage adhered to, steroids can help to treat some medical conditions.
Other nicknames for steroids include: gear, roids, juice, gym candy.
Peptides are used to stimulate the production of human growth hormone, which assists with muscle and bone growth.
Hormones are chemicals which are naturally produced by the body, however there are numerous artificial hormones available, as well as drugs which stimulate the production of hormones.
The list of effects on this website are not definitive or exhaustive.
The effects of performance enhancing drugs can include:
- high blood pressure
- liver and kidney problems
- hair loss
- growth of breast tissue
- prostate issues in men
- shrinking of testicles in men
- menstrual cycle problems in women
- feeling irritable
- fertility issues
- high cholesterol
- heart problems
- heart attack
Drug use can have a range of social consequences and can have impact not only on an individual, but also their relationships and their work or study. Drug use can cause financial issues, family problems and can also have legal consequences.
If you are concerned about your own or another person’s drug use we encourage you to seek professional help and assistance.
There are always risks associated with drug use. No use at all is the safest option.
Further information and support:
If you suspect an overdose call triple zero (000) immediately.
In an emergency or crisis situation always call triple zero (000) for police, fire and ambulance and follow instructions.
- Visit the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority for more information about drugs in sport, banned substances and support information
- Visit the Your Room website for more information about performance enhancing drug effects, dependence, risks, support services and other information
- Visit our Youth Solutions Get Help page for the details of different support services available