Youth Advisory Group
Your chance to make a difference – join YAG!
Aged 16 – 25 years?
Want to be a part of a team of youth volunteers who are making a difference in our local community?
Want to empower local young people to be safe, and to keep their friends safe, around alcohol and other drugs?
Want to learn about alcohol and other drugs, mental health, health promotion and social marketing?
Join our volunteer Youth Advisory Group (YAG)!
How to apply:
- Complete the Form – YAG Member Application
- Send your completed form to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Need more info? Contact our Youth Engagement Coordinator, Sam Young, on 02 4628 2319
The Youth Solutions Youth Advisory Group (YAG) is a voluntary group of young people aged 16 – 25 years.
Each of the members are young people who live, study, work, are connected to, or spend their recreation time in, the Macarthur and Wingecarribee regions. And each member is passionate about youth health.
The YAG generally meet once a month at the Youth Solutions office (located inside Macarthur Square Shopping Centre) to help us to identify and address the issues that local young people are facing.
YAG members receive ongoing training and support to become knowledgeable, skilled and confident Peer Educators. Peer Educators are given numerous opportunities to co-facilitate workshops and presentations at local schools and alternate learning spaces, as part of our PEEP Project. Peer Educators are also invited to run community health promotion campaign stalls and attend other community events alongside Youth Solutions staff. Each year, our YAG are heavily involved in the implementation of the Safer Celebrations campaign and Mental Health Month initiatives.
Annually, our YAG plan, implement and evaluate the #whyichoose campaign. #whyichoose is a social media driven campaign which identifies tobacco smoking as an issue of concern for young people and aims to start a positive conversation about the benefits of not smoking or making safer decisions around smoking, such as cutting down or having a smoke-free home environment.
The YAG is not only incredibly valuable to Youth Solutions, but its members are wonderful representatives of young people in Macarthur and Wingecarribee.
Thank you to our current YAG members:
Thank you to our YAG members who volunteer their time to make a difference the lives and health of their peers:
- Umut Akturk
- Brock Battistuzzi
- Ellie Herd
- Anastasia Hughes
- Emily Hunter
- Samantha McAuley
- Melissa Petith
- Taylah Savage
- Kate Taylor
- Brittany Young
What do our YAG members say about the program?
“YAG is a meaningful volunteer experience. I have learnt so much about drugs and alcohol, mental health, health promotion and social marketing through YAG. I would recommend YAG to anyone.”
– Brittany, previous YAG member
“Whether you are looking at volunteering in your personal time in some way, improving your skills to go alongside your study or even if you just want to meet some like minded people, I can’t recommend YAG enough! You will learn a lot of different things and once you know you can help people around you including your own peers, you will understand the benefits of joining YAG. If you aren’t completely sure that’s ok too! There is no pressure with doing more than what you are comfortable with and YS will support you at your own pace as well”
– Kassee, previous YAG member
“I originally volunteered with YAG when I was completing my Diploma in Youth Work. It was a great student placement as I was really able to explore harm prevention and extend that learning in a school setting . I stuck around after my placement finished as I valued the learning experiences that were provided for me and felt as though Youth Solutions had a lot to offer, especially through YAG.
I was fortunate to assist in a presentation on Shisha smoking, which allowed me to pass on my knowledge of something that is so prevalent in my culture but is also very harmful. I’ve enjoyed many things while volunteering at Youth Solutions, but what I have enjoyed the most is going to different schools and assisting with programs facilitated in schools”
– Rachel, previous YAG member
“To work with a community organisation that helps young people live happier, healthier lives is a huge honor. The Youth Solutions staff are the loveliest people you’ll ever meet, they always make sure everyone feels heard and are never judgmental”
– Gavin, previous YAG member
The YAG is proudly supported by…
Thank you also to our YAG catering partner, Subway Macarthur Square, for providing platters for our YAG meetings.
- 2017: YAG wins Community Group of the Year at the Camden Council Australia Day Awards.
- 2015: The Youth Solutions YAG / PEEP Project is nominated for the ZEST Awards’ Out of the Box Award.
- 2014: The YAG / PEEP Project is selected as a finalist for the Champions of the West Young Achiever Category. The YAG is also nominated for a ZEST Award for Outstanding Voluntary Group/Organisation.
- 2013: The YAG wins the Macarthur Volunteer Award for Innovation in Volunteering. Click here for the story
- 2012: The YAG is recognised in State Parliament by Bryan Doyle then MP and State Member for Campbelltown, for their commitment to their community. The Hon Peter Garrett AM MP Minister for School Education, Early Childhood and Youth and The Hon Jillian Skinner, Minister for Health support the campaign, Give Us a Hand, which was developed by the YAG.
- 2011: The Rotary Club of Narellan recognises the YAG at the Pride in Workmanship Awards. The YAG was the first group ever to have all members nominated for individual awards.